Education and Degrees
- 2012-Present Ph.D. Student in Psychology
- 2011-2012 M.Sc. in Cognitive Science (Thesis: Attention Capture: The Impact of Change in Spatial Sound Source on Behavior. Department of Psychology, Umeå University.
- 2008-2011 B.Sc. in Cognitive Science (Thesis: Attention Capture: Studying the Distracting Effect of One’s Own Name. Department of Psychology, Umeå University. Available from DiVA Database (http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-46607)
International peer-reviewed journals
Ljungberg, K. J., Parmentier, F. B. R., Jones, D. M., Marsja, E., & Neely, G. (2014). “What’s in a name?” “No more than when it’s mine own”. Evidence from auditory oddball distraction. Acta Psychologica, 150C, 161–166. doi:10.1016/j.actpsy.2014.05.009
Publications In Preperation/Submitted/Under Revision
Rosa, E., Marsja, E., Ljungberg K.J. (In Preparation). Vibrotactile On-thigh Alarm Detection as a Function of Flight Task Mental Workload.
Marsja, E., Neely, G., Ljungberg K.J. (In Preparation). Investigating deviance distraction and the impact of modality.
Marsh, J., Sörqvist, P., Marsja, E., Röer J.P., & Ljungberg, K.J. (Submitted). Irrelevant vibro-tactile stimuli produce a changing-state effect: Implications for theories of interference in short-term memory.
Marsja, E., Neely, Ljungberg, K.J (Under revision). Deviance distraction in the auditory and tactile modalities after repeated exposure: differential aspects of tactile and auditory deviants
Current research collaborations
- Associate Professor Jessica K. Ljungberg, Department of Psychology, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden
- Associate Professor Gregory Neely, Department of Psychology, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden
- Dr. Patrik Hansson, Department of Psychology, Umeå University, Umeå, Sweden
- Dr. John E. Marsh, School of Psychology, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- Professor Patrik Sörqkvist, Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development, Högskolan i Gävle, Gävle
Marsja, E., Marsh, J.E., Neely G., Hansson P., Ljungberg K.J., (2016, September). Do Spatial Changes in Sounds and Vibrations Affect Visuo-spatial and Verbal Short-Term Memory? Attention and Control: Insights from Distraction, Workshop, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK. Invited Talk.
Marsja, E., Marsh, J.E., Neely G., Hansson P., Ljungberg K.J., (2016, June). Spatial Change in Multisensory Distractors Impact on Verbal and Spatial Short Term Memory. International Multisensory Research Forum 17th annual meeting, Suzhou, CHN. Oral presentation.
Marsja, E., Neely G., Ma, L., Ljungberg K.J., (2015, August). Cross-modality matches of intensity and attention capture dimensions of auditory and vibrotactile stimuli. Fechner Day 2015. The 31st Annual Meeting of the International Society for Psychophysics, Québec, CA. Poster.
Marsja, E., Neely, G., Parmentier, F.B.R., Ljungberg, K.J., (2014, October) Deviance Distraction Is Contingent on Stimuli Being Presented within the Same Modality. Psychonomic Society’s 55th Annual Meeting. Long Beach, CA, USA. Poster.
Ljungberg, K.J., Parmentier, F.B.R., Marsja, E., Neely, G., Jones, D., (2014, January). Any Tom, Dick, or Harry will do: Hearing one’s own name distracts no more than any other in a cross-modal oddball task. Experimental Psychology Society Meeting. London, UK. Poster.
Marsja, E., Neely, G., Parmentier, F.B.R., Ljungberg, K.J., (2013, October). Maintenance of the distractive effect of deviating vibrotactile stimuli in a cross-modal oddball paradigm. Fechner day 2013. The 29th Annual meeting of the International Society of Psychophysics, Freiburg, DE. Poster.
Funding and Grants
16000 SEK from Lars Hiertas Minnesfond for the project Är korttidsminnet domän-generellt eller domän-specifikt? (Is short-term memory domain-general or domain specific?), 2016.
8000 SEK from the Department of Psychology for participating the conference 17th International Multisensory Research Forum 15-18 June, Souzou, China, 2016.
10 000 SEK from JC Kempes minnesfond for the project Is everyday distractibility related to attention capture by vibrating deviants? (2014).
9 000 SEK from Knut och Alice Wallenbergs Stiftelse for participating in the conferences Psychonomic Society’s 55th Annual Meeting, 20-23 November, and APCAM, 20 November, Long Beach, USA, 2014.
6000 SEK from the Department of Psychology for participating the conference Fechner Day 2013 (the 29th Annual Meeting of the International Society for Psychophysics) 21-25 October, Freiburg i.Br., Germany, 2013.
Past & current areas at undergraduate level
- Applied Cognitive Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Research Methods
- Project work
Lectures, Seminars, Lab demonstrations, Group project (both involving empirical projects and more applied projects) and Supervision have been given at the Department of Psychology Umeå University, Sweden. I have so far taught 695 clock hours.
Supervision of master students
Ma, L. (2015). Department of Psychology, Umeå University. “Cross-Modal Matching of Distractibility in Auditory and Tactile Stimuli”. Master Thesis in Cognitive Science (15 ECTS)
Blide, M. (2014). Department of Psychology, Umeå University. “Att orka lämna ett misshandelsförhållande: Anknytningens beydelse (To cope leaving abusive relationships: The importance of attachment). Master Thesis in Clinical Psychology (30 ECTS)
- Good programming skills in Python (v2.x) and R
- Good skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Basic skills in Markdown (i.e., RMarkdown) and LaTeX
- Basic programming skills in Visual Basic, E-basic (E-prime), and MATLAB
- Basic skills in statistical software such as SPSS and R
- Programming and performing experiments using both E-prime, MATLAB, and Python (i.e., PsychoPy
You can find an even more detailed CV here (e.g., with a table of courses I teach in). RMarkdown and R (and some LaTeX) were used to create the CV.